WHAT YOU’LL NEED
Maize Porridge (Pap)
- 500g maize meal
- 15ml salt
- 30ml butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 125g bacon, diced
- 125g brown mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tin of sweetcorn (drained)
- 250g Love Beets cooked beetroot (diced)
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1tsp sugar
- Salt and black pepper
- 750ml of grated cheese
- 250ml cream
WHAT TO DO
- Bring the water to the boil and add a pinch of salt.
- Add the maize meal and mix well.
- Cover with the lid for around 30 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- When the consistency of the pap becomes stiff, but still spreadable stir in the butter and remove from the heat.
Filling and Layering
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a large saucepan sauté the onion and bacon in oil or butter until the onions are translucent.
- Add the mushrooms, beetroot, tomatoes and sweetcorn to the onion and bacon mix.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the sugar and cream, season to taste.
- Layer a greased ovenproof dish with pap and filling. First a layer of pap, then a layer of filling, sprinkle some cheese over the filling and then another layer of pap, followed by filling and cheese.
- Bake at 180°C for 15-20 minutes.